Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Transitions

The summer will soon transition into fall. My days at the reservoir off Sawkill Road (which I have come to view as a marsh) are numbered. Over the past few months I have watched the population of egrets and great blue herons grow and, in their own way, prosper. They have certainly made hay of the local fish population, as have the hungry kingfishers.
Over the past few days I have been rewarded by the presence of a green heron.  Though sparse in number, their piercing look makes their presence felt and one's skin crawl.

Some of the results of my meanderings along the perimeter of the Sawkill marsh follow.


***

American Egret


Great Blue Heron

Blue Heron - small, but still great


Kingfisher and Egret - dynamic duo


Kingfisher


Green Heron

***

4 comments:

  1. Hello Bob,
    I came on over to check out your blog after you posted a comment at mine. Visiting and commenting at other blogs is definitely a good way to become known around the naturalist-blogger community. Anyhow, beautiful photos! I checked out your bird list from your property. Must be a good location. Good luck with your blog. If you haven't already done so, consider volunteering to host an edition of "I and the Birds" carnival. It will help your blog to become known by other birds.
    http://10000birds.com/iandthebird/

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops.. I mean, "to become known by other birdERS"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bev,
    "Birds" is, er, okay. Keep up the good work at your end. And thanks so much for the tip.

    ReplyDelete