Monday, September 13, 2010

Reflections

September can be a difficult month for picture-taking. I would like to see it as an opportunity to capture images of warblers flitting around the trees in my backyard, before heading south again. But they are too small for me to get good, close-enough shots. I need more practice.
For now, there are egrets and herons that linger at my favorite Woodstock haunt just down the road.


***

Some distance away, on the Ashokan Reservoir, cormorants linger on a convenient float, while
one man, alone, shuffles along in a tiny boat.






When I turn my head toward the wooded expanse that abuts the Ashokan I immediately
spot a deer looking my way who seems to say, “what is he doing here?”


***

I look at all this while reflecting on the fact that I was raised in a much different environment, a considerably more urban one, on  the lower east side of Manhattan. Sitting, immersed in all this, I, too, often wonder:  "What am I doing here?"


***

No comments:

Post a Comment